Archive for September, 2014

Knitting emergency

Thursday, September 25th, 2014

A friend is learning to knit, and read patterns, and troubleshoot. Today was a day where I went to help.

IMG_9002.JPG
I helped with some major ripping out and fixing. Things are now on the right track, and I look forward to see it in the next stages.

A Furry Friend

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014

Inspiration hit last night, and within a few hours I had knit a furry little friend.

IMG_8974.JPG
The pattern “Rats!” is a nice quick knit, easily explained, and worked in the round. The ears and legs are a bit fiddly, but they are small, and oh so cute!

This little guy was missing eyes. I debated driving across town to the craft store to get beads, but decided instead to take my chances at the dollar store. I found a tacky bracelet with lots of faceted black beads which glint like I’d imagine rats eyes might.

IMG_8977.JPG
I took him to the park for a photo shoot this evening, which caused quite a few questions from the people who were enjoying the lovely fall evening.

He’s going to make his way to Ottawa to surprise a friend who humours my ridiculous knitting

IMG_8981.JPG

Solo adventures

Saturday, September 20th, 2014

Today was supposed to be a group adventure, but at the last minute other deadlines got in the way for my other adventuring friends. I decided I’d go anyway and have an adventure on my own.

Stop 1: Lyndhurst for the Turkey Fair

IMG_8881.JPG

I’ve never seen so many people in the village. There were vendors, and bouncy castles, and a guess the weight of the pumpkin booth.

IMG_8891.JPG
There were quilts

IMG_8887.JPG
And election posters

IMG_8884.JPG
And Velma!

IMG_8886.JPG
I visited the grounds of Camp Hyanto, and picked a few four leaf clovers, and then I set off once more…

Stop 2: rock dunder, near Morton

IMG_8895.JPG
I walked the summit loop for the second time this summer. It was way less buggy this time!

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8909.JPG
I was alone at the top of the mountain, and it was lovely, windy, and peaceful.

I’m excited to go back when the colours change.
In the mean time, mark your calendars for the 3rd Saturday in September for the next Turkey Fair!

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

Mittens to Match…

Friday, September 19th, 2014

I knit a hat last year for a fellow who did quite a bit of camping. The hat was made from my early handspun, from fleece that was being tossed by a local farmer. I’d used some of the fleece as an experiment in dyeing, and the end result was a rustic hat that was quite suitable for the tough guy who would wear it.
(For some reason I cant find a picture of the hat…)

I came across the tail ends of the dyed handspun a few days ago, and decided that some matching mittens would be a good idea.

I divided up the ball of blue into two small balls, and did the same with the green, and then I set out to make up a pair of simple durable mittens. The natural yarn is not my own handspun, but it certainly is tough and rustic. I added a patterned cuff, and had enough left for stripes across the hand.

IMG_8879.JPG
Sizing for a man’s hand is something that I’ve guessed at. These are very large for me. I had a friend try them on, and found that the original cuff was a bit on the short side, and also a bit loose. I had tried to avoid ribbing by using the Latvian braid, but decided that I should really make a cuff so they’re longer and cozier.

IMG_8880.JPG
I picked up stitches from the inside of the mitten after the braid, and knit 14 rows of K1P1 ribbing to make a stretchy cuff. I’m thrilled by the result, and I hope they will be enjoyed and cherished for many years.

Handspun mitts

Sunday, September 14th, 2014

I’m working on knitting up my stash of handspun scratchy yarn….the stuff that I made when I was first processing fleece right from the sheep. It’s not suitable for anything that will be close to the skin, except for mittens. It’s perfect for mittens.

IMG_8812-1.JPG
Unfortunately, as you can probably see, my stash yarn doesn’t come in large quantities, so I’ve had to mix and match a few different greens to complete this pair. The thumbs are particularly green it seems.

I tried to dye up a batch to match the more turquoise colour, but it’s really hard to do (as I realized last night). My recipe includes vinegar and food colouring-blue and green straight out of the bottle- and a bit of time in a pot of simmering water.

IMG_8811-0.JPG
This is as close as I got. We’ll see how light it gets when it is all dry.

I may end up redoing the thumbs if the colour is close.

Monster booties

Thursday, September 4th, 2014

Here’s a cute application for novelty yarn!

IMG_8622.JPG
I made basic sock shape booties out of eyelash yarn. To make them more monstery, I attached three i-cord claws.

These booties are a surprise gift for a little monster that was born this week.